The super-soft butter cake is so easy to make with a few basic ingredients that can be found in your pantry. It is perfect for tea time and this cake also makes a great base for simple decoration with fondant or buttercream. bake this cake in a 9 inch round cake tin or 8 by 8 square cake tin. To begin you need plain flour, salt, baking powder, milk at room temperature, vanilla, butter, castor sugar, eggs at room temperature, and lemon zest which is optional.
Start off by sifting the dry ingredients which are the flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl. Set the bowl of dry ingredients aside. Add softened butter to a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and cream the butter until it is light. Nest to the butter add the castor sugar gradually and continue to cream until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally to make sure everything is mixing. Add one egg at a time beating well after each addition. The eggs should be at room temperature.
Beat until the color changes from deep yellow to a very pale yellow. Meanwhile, prepare the cake pan by either spraying it with a non-stick spray or butter it lightly and flour it they line it with parchment paper. Add vanilla extract to your milk and stir using a spoon and set aside. Once the beaten mixture has changed to a pale color add in the dry sifted ingredients alternating with the milk and vanilla mixture.
Add in small amounts until everything is incorporated staring and ending with the flour mixture. After the final addition of the flour mixture and continue kneading just until the batter is smooth. Pour the mixture into an ungreased baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Smooth the top with a spatula and spread slightly from the center to the edges.
Bake in a preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes till the center is set and the cake pulls from the sides of the pan and it is springy to a gentle touch. Once baked remove the cake from the oven and cool it in the tin for 10 minutes then overturn it on a wire rack and remove the tin and let it cool completely before consumption. The cake is perfect for tea time.
- 1½ cups(190 grams) plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ baking powder
- ½ cup of milk at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup(113 grams) of butter softened
- 1 cup(200 grams) caster sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit then sift flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl then set aside.
- Also, combine milk and vanilla extract then set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream butter until light then adds sugar gradually and continue to cream until very fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time while beating the mixture after each addition until you get a pale color.
- Add the dry sifted ingredients into the butter mixture alternating with the milk mixture until you get a smooth batter with no lumps.
- Alternatively, you can add lemon zest if you want the lemon tang in your cake at this point.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake the cake in a preheated 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 30 to 35 minutes until the center of the cake is set.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for ten minutes before removing from the pan and serving it.